[strongSwan-dev] Any route change triggers unexpected IKE-SA reauth if left is not on output interface

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Fri Nov 11 16:08:26 CET 2016

Hi Christophe,

> Connections are configured on a multihomed machine, so that left is a
> permanent address configured on a user loopback interface (Linux dummy
> interface), precisely to be independant from routing. MOBIKE is
> disabled.
>
> Whenever a change occurs in the routing table, charon verifies for all
> IKE_SA that the path to the remote peer is still valid.
>
> This verification, performed by the ike_sa.roam() method, always
> concludes that the path is no longer valid, and triggers a reauth.

How does your routing table look like?  How does it change over time?
Could you set the IP address as preferred src on the route(s) (i.e.
RTA_PREFSRC or `src` in iproute2) or additional routes?  If you are
using IPv6, setting the address as RTA_SRC might also be an option
(`from` in iproute2, the kernel ignores that attribute for IPv4, though,
strongSwan considers it since 5.5.1).

> In fact the definition of "valid" is quite restrictive: ike_sa.roam()
> invokes is_current_path_valid(this), which performs a route lookup to
> the peer address, and checks that the route "preferred source address"
> is equal to the IKE_SA local address.

Yes, the code looks for a route that indicates that the current source
address can still be used.  That does not have to be the best route to
the destination but there has to be a route that somehow leads to that
source address (could be via RTA_PREFSRC, RTA_SRC, an interface, or a
next hop and another route).  If any such a route is found the address
won't change.  So if you are using the default route lookup (i.e. you
don't have a mark configured for the kernel-netlink plugin), which does
not consider routing rules, you could also add e.g. a default route in a
routing table that's otherwise not used by the system (e.g. add a rule
with a mark that's not used on your system) and list the source address
there.  Or just add a low-metric route to the default table that lists
that address, strongSwan considers metrics but as I said the route does
not have to be the best to be considered when checking whether the
current path is still valid.

> Which is not the case because
> the IKE_SA local address is not configured on the output interface.

That's not necessary.  RTA_PREFSRC on a route could be any address on
the system (could be on lo or a dummy interface).

> But when MOBIKE is disabled and the source address is explicitly
> specified in the conf, the existence of a valid route to the peer
> should be enough, whatever the "preferred source address" is suggested
> by the routing table.

The code already tries to keep the current source address.  But if you
have no route whatsoever that indicates this address could still be used
to reach the peer the code will switch to an address/route that does.
To avoid that you could disable the roaming events or just listening for
route changes.

> Is there a way to avoid this undesirable reauthentication (without
> ignoring routing event)?

Why is that not an option for you?  If you don't use MOBIKE why do you
care for the routing events?

Regards,
Tobias