[strongSwan-dev] strongSwan 5.4.0 and NULL streq() causing VICI crash

Ruel, Ryan rruel at akamai.com
Wed Apr 13 22:16:46 CEST 2016

Folks,

I've recently upgraded to strongSwan 5.4.0, and found that when using VICI to configure connections it resulted in a charon crash (segfault).  I traced the problem to child_cfg.c, with the new "equals" method that was added in 5.4.0.  It seems that since my VICI client doesn't set the "updown" script parameter for the connection, it results in a NULL string compare in that "equals" method.

Looking at the latest GIT repository, I saw that in string.h some checks have been added which prevent performing a strcmp on a NULL value.  Back porting this fix to 5.4.0 fixes my charon crash issue.

I have concerns about doing this, however, as I'm wondering if there are other changes I should also back port.

When is the next point release going to be available which will incorporate all of these fixes?

/Ryan