[strongSwan-dev] IKE_AUTH with IDi and IDr

Peter Hsiang phsiang at nvidia.com
Fri Sep 5 23:33:22 CEST 2014

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the clarification.

The RFC chapter 3.5 says the IDi IDr identity may be used for policy lookup.  In Strongswan, on the server side, what is the IDi IDr used for in the current implementation for, say, IKEv2?  Like, if the FQDN type format is used, does it use the FQDN to lookup an IP address?

What does the "@" wildcard in front of the FQDN do?
In ike_auth.c method build_i, idr->contains_wildcards(idr) becomes true when I have the @.

Only without the @, the IDr is created.

My guess is, the right_id is sent from client to host, regardless of whether or not the IDr is constructed.  Is the right_id sent in packets other than in IDr?

Thanks,
Peter