[strongSwan-dev] strongswan's openssl plugin causes wpa_supplicant to segfault

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Fri Oct 17 10:43:23 CEST 2014

Hi Avesh,

> strongswan's openssl plugin is deigned for multi-threaded environment, whereas
> wpa_supplicant uses non-threaded architecture. Both of these, strongswan's
> openssl pluging and wpa_supplicant uses openssl as their crypto and
> TLS library.

True, but unless you run these libraries in the same process, how is
this a problem? I'd guess for a different process each OpenSSL libcrypto
instance should be usable independently?

Or is there some non-mainline code involved that uses wpa_supplicant
from within strongSwan?

> I have created a very simple patch to address this issue which basically allows
> disabling mult-thread uses in strongswan's openssl plugin when
> wpa_supplicant is used.

Disabling that multi-threading setup on strongSwan definitely will break
the openssl plugin, so I don't think this is an option, even as a
work-around.