[strongSwan-dev] multiple OU's

Banio aau at mncarpenters.net
Wed Mar 19 17:35:52 CET 2014

I have a gateway setup with a ipsec.conf like this:

conn Servers_vpngateway2
     left=%defaultroute
     leftcert=vpngateway2.domain.com_cert.pem
leftid=@vpngateway2.domain.com
     leftfirewall=yes
     leftsubnet=172.16.48.0/22
     right=%any
     rightid="C=US, ST=IL, L=Chicago, O=Company, OU=Servers_vpngateway2,
CN=*"
     rightsourceip=172.16.52.0/24
     auto=route

On this gateway I want to only allow those with a valid cert with
OU=Servers_vpngateway2.  I have some servers that will also need to
connect to  OU=Servers_vpngateway1, and in the future
OU=Servers_vpngateway3, etc and thus have multiple OU's.

Now if I connect with a client with a cert like this it works:
C=US, ST=IL, L=Chicago, O=Company, OU=Servers_vpngateway2,
CN=test.domain.com

If I connect with a client like this it doesn't work:
C=US, ST=IL, L=Chicago, O=Company, OU=Servers_vpngateway1,
OU=Servers_vpngateway2, CN=test.domain.com

However if I change the ipsec.conf conn definition to the following it
does work:

conn Servers_vpngateway2
     left=%defaultroute
     leftcert=vpngateway2.domain.com_cert.pem
leftid=@vpngateway2.domain.com
     leftfirewall=yes
     leftsubnet=172.16.48.0/22
     right=%any
     rightid="C=US, ST=IL, L=Chicago, O=Company, OU=Servers_vpngateway1,
OU=Servers_vpngateway2, CN=*"
     rightsourceip=172.16.52.0/24
     auto=route

If I connect with a client like this it doesn't work:
C=US, ST=IL, L=Chicago, O=Company, OU=Servers_vpngateway2,
OU=Servers_vpngateway1, CN=test.domain.com

Likewise if I change the ipsec.conf conn definition to the following it
does work:

conn Servers_vpngateway2
     left=%defaultroute
     leftcert=vpngateway2.domain.com_cert.pem
leftid=@vpngateway2.domain.com
     leftfirewall=yes
     leftsubnet=172.16.48.0/22
     right=%any
     rightid="C=US, ST=IL, L=Chicago, O=Company, OU=Servers_vpngateway2,
OU=Servers_vpngateway1, CN=*"
     rightsourceip=172.16.52.0/24
     auto=route

Is there a way to allow servers with valid certs and
OU=Servers_vpngateway2 and ignore all other (there may be one, two,
three, four, etc) OU's that is not writing conn definitions for all the
different combinations?