[strongSwan-dev] New plugin for eap-aka-3gpp (Soft-AKA with Rijndael/Milenage)

Dragos Vingarzan dragos at corenetdynamics.com
Mon Apr 14 17:22:19 CEST 2014

Hi guys,

so based on your eap-aka-3gpp2 plugin, I did one that implements the
3GPP flavor, with Rijndael/Milenage instead of SHA-1. We're doing a bit
of testing now with our HSS/SPR from OpenEPC, which works fine against
real-life USIM cards and we'd like to contribute the module. I need a
bit of help actually, as you know better how to integrate it in your
build system, so should I just attach the patch? Or?

The work is based on 3GPP TS 35.205->208. The module also generate
triplets, besides quintuplets. 3GPP specifies a derivation of SRES/Kc
from AKA material, for example to do legacy authentication when you have
a newer and safer USIM card only in your client device. The code is
there, but I can only hope that it would also work as an eap-sim system
and someone would find it useful.

Of course, this is a software emulation of a card plus a limited
back-end provider (we're pipe-ing in our case actually the back-end over
RADIUS to our ePDG and then Diameter AAA/HSS/AuC servers). I am also
interested in helping with a eap-simaka-pcsc module (or would you call
that eap-usim-pcsc?), but I am still struggling a bit to send the right
APDUs to the real USIM cards as to make them to do AKA. If anyone else
is interested, please let me know.

Oh, and of course, the latest buzz - does anyone know if Android
provides a SIM-card API? I don't think that PC/SC would work, as the
(U)SIM is in the modem. There is a 3GPP TS on how to send arbitrary
commands through AT+C modem commands, but support in real modems is not
there...

Cheers,
-Dragos

Dr.-Ing. Dragos Vingarzan
Founder and Technical Lead
Core Network Dynamics UG
A German Engineering Software Company registered in Berlin (HRB152643B)

mobile:  +49 176 48 32 16 00
web:     www.corenetdynamics.com
Offices: Prinzessinnenstr. 18/19 - betahaus, 10969 Berlin, Germany
CEO:     Dipl.Ing. Berthold Butscher