[strongSwan-dev] Query about ikev2/dhcp-static-mac

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Wed Apr 2 10:56:30 CEST 2014

> If I want to add another host, i.e., Tina along with Dave, who also
> need a static mac address in DHCP server configuration, how does this
> static mac address come out in the first place before any IKE contact?

The idea is not to pre-configure your DHCP server with these static MAC
addresses, but just to have persistent IP leases for each identity. We
do it in the test cases just for reproducibility.

> I read the code, chunk_mac_inc performs SipHash-2-4 when IKE contact
> actually happens.

Of course you can write a tool that generates the MAC from the identity
using the same algorithm, but this is probably more complicated than
required.

> Yes, dhcp-static-client-id test is quite straight forward.

If your DHCP server can handle it, you really should go for that
dhcp-client-identity option to pre-define IPs for identities.