[strongSwan-dev] Chrome OS -- upgrade to strongSwan 5.x and 4.x Pluto patches

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Thu Dec 6 14:38:53 CET 2012

Hi Darin,

> However, we've made some local patches to Pluto that we'll need to
> re-evaluate and drop obsolete ones, re-implement necessary ones in
> Charon, or maybe come up with better solutions, hopefully upstream.

>       * crosbug.com/16252: initialize supplementary groups

I think porting this to charon shouldn't be a problem, as it uses the
same user/group switching as pluto.

>       * crosbug.com/24476: disable peer ID check

If I understand correctly, this just accepts any identity the responder
uses? If yes, this can be achieved by setting "rightid=%any".

However, keep in mind that this has security implications; if you trust
a CA certificate, any peer with a valid certificate can act as a
responder, as we don't check the identity. This is why you usually want
to enforce a strict identity.

>       * crosbug.com/25675: disable XAUTH ID

State handling is completely different in charon than in pluto, so I'm
not sure if this still applies. We currently always send the XAuth
vendor ID in the first ISAKMP message. But this shouldn't be hard to
change if it is problematic. However, from the bug report it's not clear
to me why the responder sends an XAuth request while we negotiated PSK
authentication.

>       * crosbug.com/32738: ISAKMP commit bit

I don't have enough information to comment on this; it might or might
not be an issue with charon.

> Do you think some of these issues can be addressed properly upstream,
> to ease the upgrade path?

Yes, we'd be happy to help you fixing these issues and integrate it
upstream. We don't have much third party equipment on the responder side
to test against, though.

Kind regards