[strongSwan-dev] Info on the Starter and Stroke

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Thu Aug 9 15:32:31 CEST 2012

Hi,

> I could see the int starter_start_charon (starter_config_t *cfg, bool
> no_fork, *) is loading the configuration

invokecharon.c actually just spawns the charon process and passes a few
arguments from global ipsec.conf settings.

> but what I don't understand is starterstroke.c which is having the
> same functionality of loading the configurations into the charon.

starterstroke.c passes the connection definitions from your ipsec.conf.
It uses the Unix socket created by the "stroke" libcharon plugin to pass
over connection definitions to the daemon.

> I could see in the documentation is the stroke is yet to be developed
> just like Whack.

The stroke utility under src/stroke doesn't handle configuration
add/removal. It has some stubs for these operations, but they are not
very functional. It is mainly used to issue "ipsec up/down/status"
commands. Configuration management is done via starter.