[strongSwan-dev] Strongswan on Android 4.0

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Fri Apr 13 18:42:07 CEST 2012

Hi Shu,

> Does anyone have the experience of porting Strangswan to higher
> Android version (e.g. Android 4.0 --  Ice Cream Sandwich)?

With 4.6.2 it works as described on the wiki for Froyo, the only
difference is that you have to add the strongSwan executables to be
installed on the final system to PRODUCT_PACKAGES in
build/target/product/core.mk.  Also, since 4.6 the IKEv1 daemon Pluto
and Starter are supported on Android, so the configuration can also be
provided with ipsec.conf instead of the GUI patches or a custom plugin.
Make sure you have a look at the top-level Android.mk, which has some
config options to enable the daemons and plugins etc.

> And Android patches for Froyo still work for Android higher versions?

Probably not.  The frontend patches are very specific and with ICS the
native VPN GUI changed quite a bit so they most likely don't apply
without conflicts.  But I suppose the general idea of these changes
would still work and adapting them for ICS wouldn't be that much of a
problem.

Regards,
Tobias