[strongSwan-dev] sql options build implications

Riaan Kruger riaank at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 15:59:19 CEST 2011

I am currently updating the FreeBSD port of strongswan. There are a
number of options I want to add to the port that I have
tested/checked. The problem I am having is that --enable-attr-sql and
--enable-sql requires (at least I think so) access to an SQL backend.
However the options list [1] in a FreeBSD port is one dimensional and
cannot handle inter dependencies.

The crux of my query is:
====================
Can I have --enable-attr-sql and --enable-sql without a DB backend
(--enable-sqlite or --enable-mysql). Will it configure, compile, and
run with the default config?

Further advice needed, considering the above:
=====================================
What would you consider the best choice for setting the sql related
options in the FreeBSD port.

1. Enable --enable-attr-sql and --enable-sql per default and give the
user the option to use sqlite and mysql.  What are the implications of
compiling sql and attr-sql (the default case) and not having an sql db
access method like sqlite or mysql.  I like this idea because then I
only bother the user with choices which require external dependencies.
The list would look like:
   [  ] enable mysql
   [  ] enable sqlite
2. Provide a list of all the options, such as
   [  ] enable sql
   [  ] enable attr-sql
   [  ] enable mysql
   [  ] enable sqlite
and hope the user makes the right choices.
2a. Present the list above and try to catch incompatible combinations
early in the port building process. That is what I am currently
trying, but I having a hard time with the syntax of Makefile logic.

Hope the above makes sense

Riaan

[1] - http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/book.html#AEN2563