[strongSwan-dev] ANNOUNCE: strongswan-4.4.0rc1

Jan Willem Beusink jan.willem.beusink at ti-wmc.nl
Tue Apr 27 17:18:24 CEST 2010

Andreas Steffen wrote:
> [...]
>
>    The pluto daemon inherited the popular RAM-based virtual IP
>    address pool functionality from the charon daemon. The directive
>
>      rightsourceip=<subnet>
>
>    defines a subnet from which addresses dynamically are allocated
>    as the following example scenario shows
>
>    http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults44rc/ikev1/ip-pool/
>

> * DHCP and ARP Proxy support
>    --------------------------
>
>    The new dhcp plugin queries virtual IP addresses for clients from
>    a DHCP server using broadcasts or a defined server using the
>
>      charon.plugins.dhcp.server =
>
>    strongswan.conf option. Additionally DNS/WINS server information
>    is served to clients if the DHCP server provides such information.
>    The plugin is used in ipsec.conf configurations with the setting
>
>      rightsourceip=%dhcp.
>
>    A new plugin called farp handles ARP responses for virtual IP
>    addresses handed out to clients by the IKEv2 daemon charon.
>    The plugin lets a road-warrior act as a client on the local LAN
>    if it uses a virtual IP from the responders subnet, e.g. acquired
>    via the dhcp plugin. The following example scenarios show the use
>    of the dhcp and farp plugins:
>
>    http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults44rc/ikev2/dhcp-dynamic/
>
> http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults44rc/ikev2/dhcp-static-client-id/
>
>    http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults44rc/ikev2/dhcp-static-mac/
>
>    http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults44rc/ikev2/farp/
>

> * Arbitrary IKEv2 source and destination ports
>    --------------------------------------------
>
>    The existing IKEv2 socket implementations have been migrated to the
>    socket-default and the socket-raw plugins. The new socket-dynamic
>    plugin binds sockets dynamically to ports configured via the
>
>      left|rightikeport
>
>    ipsec.conf connection parameters.
>

> * Android Support
>    ---------------
>
>    The android plugin stores received DNS server information as
>    "net.dns" system properties, as used by the Android platform.
>    Thanks to the new libcharon library the IKEv2 charon daemon
>    can now be built monolithically. For more information on the
>    Android build see
>
>    http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/Android
>

> * Storage of public and private keys in PEM format
>    ------------------------------------------------
>
>    The ipsec pki --gen and --pub commands now allow the output of
>    private and public keys in PEM format using the --outform pem
>    command line option.
>
> Please give the new features a try and report any problems quickly.
> ETA for the stable strongSwan 4.4.0 release is the beginning of May.
>
> Best regards from the strongSwan team
>
> Andreas Steffen, Tobias Brunner & Martin Willi

> Andreas Steffen                         andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
> strongSwan - the Linux VPN Solution!                www.strongswan.org
> Institute for Internet Technologies and Applications
> University of Applied Sciences Rapperswil

Hi all,

in respect to testing 4.4.0rc1 I found the following:

1. The ipsec pki --self command could use the --outform pem too imho.

2. Furthermore I found that after compiling strongswan for openwrt (see
below for ./configure) using 4.3.6 I get an error the first time
strongswan starts:
root at OpenWrt:/# ipsec start
Starting strongSwan 4.3.6 IPsec [starter]...
/usr/sbin/ipsec: unknown IPsec command `scepclient' (`ipsec --help' for
list)
root at OpenWrt:/# ipsec start
Starting strongSwan 4.3.6 IPsec [starter]...
charon is already running (/var/run/charon.pid exists) -- skipping
charon start
starter is already running (/var/run/starter.pid exists) -- no fork done

4.4.0rc1 does not give the unknown command message, however it gives a
segfault instead...
Note that in this case I compiled 4.3.6 with --disable-tools, whereas I
did not disable tools with 4.4.0rc1.

recompiled 4.3.6 without --disable-tools and it did not give any errors
(although seemed to take a little longer to start up the first time).

3. After installation of 4.3.6, listalgs works:
root at OpenWrt:/# ipsec listalgs