[Announce] ANNOUNCE: strongswan-2.8.0 released

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Tue Oct 24 11:19:14 CEST 2006

I'm happy to announce a major release in the strongswan-2.x branch.

New features in 2.8.0 are:

- Support of ModeConfig push mode via the new connection keyword
   "modeconfig=push" will allow interoperability with Cisco VPN gateways.
   The strongSwan client will passively wait for the peer to push down
   a virtual IP to it via a ModeConfig set message, rather than actively
   requesting an address via a ModeConfig request message, which is the
   standard behaviour with the default setting "modeconfig=pull".

   Examples for both the "pull" and "push" modes can be found under the
   links:

     http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults/mode-config/

     http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults/mode-config-push/

- The command ipsec statusall now lists a "DPD active" flag for all
   ISAKMP SAs that are under active Dead Peer Detection control.

All this doesn't seem to warrant a major release - but there is more
to come! We are going to integrate XAUTH support in conjunction with
IKE Main Mode authentication at the beginning of next year. Of course
you will find all these new features also in our strongswan-4.x
IKEv1/IKEv2 development branch which will become stable at the end
of this year.

Best regards

Andreas

Andreas Steffen                         andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Institute of Internet Technologies and Applications
CH-8640 Rapperswil (Switzerland)