[strongSwan] StrongSwan eap-radius with EAP-TLS, ASN.1 Radius-Username

Stefan Hartmann stefanh at hafenthal.de
Thu Mar 5 10:58:25 CET 2020

UPDATE:

I tryed with the expr plugin to sanitize and mangle the User-Name sent
from StrongSwan plugin eap-radius with EAP-TLS.

eg
	update request {
                 &Tmp-String-8 := "%{escape:%{&User-Name}}"
                 &User-Name := &Tmp-String-8

but this leads to an senseful eap error in freeradius:
	(1) eap: Identity does not match User-Name, setting from EAP Identity
	1) eap: Failed in handler
	(1)     [eap] = invalid

Therefore if you will handle this raw parsed ASN.1-username from
strongswan-plugin eap-radius you need far more effort.

Because of time constrainst I will run with the hack disabling the
whitespace and suffix checks.

But I have to replace many cisco ASAs with open source, therefore it
would be nice if the strongswan developer can thought about suitable
configuration options in eap-radius.conf.

Eg in cisco asa, in the tunnel-group you can select how the username
sent to the AAA server is generated from the user certificate,
	 username-from-certificate CN|OU|use-entire-name|use-script ..

--
stefanh
Ingenieurbuero fuer IT/EDV und Netzwerktechnik - Stefan Hartmann