[strongSwan] Strongswan doesn't route through VPN on Windows 10, but works on android.

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Wed Jul 13 16:48:22 CEST 2016

Hi Dirk,

> With active "Use default gateway on remote network" option, windows
> seems to use my default internet connection as default gateway, so that
> traffic is not encrypted.

How did you test that?  What hosts did try to access?

> I'll attach the routing table:
> The local router is always placed first in the table.

The order doesn't matter.  The metric is the important bit.  The default
route installed when the VPN connection is established has a way lower
metric than the updated previous default route:

>      Netzwerkziel    Netzwerkmaske          Gateway    Schnittstelle Metrik
>
>           0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0      192.168.1.1    192.168.1.137   4250
>
>           0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0   Auf Verbindung         10.1.1.21     26

So most traffic should actually be routed via VPN.  An exception is
traffic into your local LAN (192.168.1.0/24) for which a separate route
is installed.

Regards,
Tobias