[strongSwan] Connecting to 'unix:///var/run/charon.vici' failed: No such file or directory error

Jayalakshmi bhat bhat.jayalakshmi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 10:08:29 CET 2016

Hi all,

I am compiling strongswan-5.3.5 for freeBSD with the following option.I am
able to make and install the library.

./configure --enable-kernel-pfkey --enable-kernel-pfroute
--disable-kernel-netlink --disable-scripts --with-group=wheel --disable-gmp
--enable-openssl --enable-vici --enable-swanctl

strongswan.conf file contains the URL for charon.vici as below
charon {
        load_modular = yes
        plugins {
                include strongswan.d/charon/*.conf
                vici {
                     socket = unix:///var/run/charon.vici
                }
        }
}

include strongswan.d/*.conf

swanctl.conf contains the rules for PSK based authentication.

when I am executing swanctl --load-conns from /usr/local/etc, I am getting
the error

root at lnxintux10:/usr/local/etc # swanctl --load-conns
connecting to 'unix:///var/run/charon.vici' failed: No such file or
directory
Error: connecting to 'default' URI failed: No such file or directory
strongSwan 5.3.5 swanctl
usage:
  swanctl --load-conns [--raw|--pretty]
           --help            (-h)  show usage information
           --raw             (-r)  dump raw response message
           --pretty          (-P)  dump raw response message in pretty print
           --debug           (-v)  set debug level, default: 1
           --options         (-+)  read command line options from file
           --uri             (-u)  service URI to connect to

Please can any one help me to understand what I am missing here.

Regards
Jayalakshmi