[strongSwan] Throughput on high BDP networks

jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Sun May 31 04:42:57 CEST 2015

> On May 30, 2015 at 6:01 PM Noel Kuntze <noel at familie-kuntze.de> wrote:

> Hello John,
>
> It is likely that that is caused by insufficient crypto
> processing capabilities on either side, so packets need to be dropped,
> as the transmit/receive buffers are full.
> A solution to this problem is to distribute the work load
> over several kernels using pcrypt[1].
>
> [1] https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/Pcrypt
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind Regards,
> Noel Kuntze
>
> GPG Key ID: 0x63EC6658
> Fingerprint: 23CA BB60 2146 05E7 7278 6592 3839 298F 63EC 6658

This looks like exactly what I need and I do see the dropped packets in ip -s
link ls.  However, I am utterly confused about what to use for the tcrypt
options. I am using esp=aes128gcm8-modp1024 which I would think mean using the
example given in the article, i.e.,

modprobe tcrypt alg="pcrypt(rfc4106(gcm(aes)))" type=3

but I see no improvement with that even after re-establishing the tunnel (ipsec
down then ipsec up).  I'm guessing my way through /proc/crypto but am really
only guessing.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on using this.
 Any guidance would be appreciated - John