[strongSwan] Ikev2 Windows 7 and 8

CRehwoldt at gmx.de CRehwoldt at gmx.de
Fri Mar 20 19:37:28 CET 2015

Hi,

we want to route specific ip nets to the strongswan server so we configured:

leftsubnet=10.72.0.0/16,192.168.1.0/24,<public ip subnet/29>,<another public ip subnet/29>

and disabled "Use default gateway on remote network option in the Advanced TCP/IP settings of the VPN connection".

On Windows 7 and Windows 8 we can only access the private ip subnets after connecting to strongswan. We have to add manually routes to access the public ip subnet via the tunnel. Is this a known limitation of Windows ("route only private subnets")? On IOS 8.2 we can access even the public ip subnets.

Setup like here : https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/Windows7#C-Authentication-using-EAP-MSCHAP-v2

Thanks
Chris