[strongSwan] TCP Retransmission problems with Android client connecting behind home router

Mark M mark076h at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 02:37:45 CET 2015

I have my strongSwan server behind my home Verizon router and connect to it with my Android phone running the strongSwan client. So my Android client connects over LTE to my home router and is forwarded to my strongSwan server which then forwards the requests back out the home router to the intended destination and then sends it back to the client over the tunnel. I am having a problem where websites take a very long time to load and will sometimes timeout or not load fully. I see in Wireshark that there are a lot of TCP Retransmissions FIN/ACK going on. I assume this is some kind of latency issue, but I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. If I connect to my home network and the strongSwan server through my Wi-Fi connection I do not see this issue, pointing to it being some kind of latency problem. This is not an mtu/mss problem since I already fixed that by setting the mss to 1300.
Is there a way that I could fix this by tuning the TCP options?
Thanks,