[strongSwan] systemd swanctl possible error

Noel Kuntze noel at familie-kuntze.de
Fri Jan 2 19:05:49 CET 2015

Hello Ygor,

The reason is simple: The provided strongswan-swanctl.service file does not have an [Install]
section. That means, that systemctl does not know from which target directories it should symlink to the .service file.
You are free to define your own [Install] section with your targets.
If you do not know what a [Install] section does, please read the man page for systemd unit files (man systemd.unit).

I use Arch Linux myself and created the strongswan-thermi, strongswan-privdrop and strongswan-git packages there.

Personally, I use the following service file instead of the one provided by strongswan:

[Unit]
Description=strongSwan IPsec IKEv1/IKEv2 daemon using swanctl
Requires=network.target
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=notify
ExecStart=/usr/bin/charon-systemd
ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/swanctl --load-all --noprompt
ExecReload=/usr/bin/swanctl --reload
Restart=on-failure

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Regards,
Noel Kuntze

GPG Key ID: 0x63EC6658
Fingerprint: 23CA BB60 2146 05E7 7278 6592 3839 298F 63EC 6658