[strongSwan] Client issues with ipv6

Robert Senger rs-ssw at microscopium.de
Sun Feb 1 15:17:36 CET 2015

Hi all,

I am quit new to ipsec, just started yesterday setting up strongswan
based ipsec in a dedicated test environment. The test environment
consist of a VPN gateway, which runs on ipv4/ipv6 dual stack on both WAN
and LAN interface, and provides three different WLANs (ipv4 only, dual
stack, ipv6 only). The local LAN network is not accessible from the
internet and from all the WLAN subnets. The goal is to use ipsec VPN for
roadwarriors and local WLAN clients to allow full dual stack access to
the local LAN, regardless in which environment (ipv4 or ipv6 only, or
dual stack) they are.

All works fine with OpenVPN, with some minor ipv6 client issues (openvpn
clients are unable to accept ipv6 dns addresses, on android ipv6 pseudo
default route must be set manually or by a up/down script).

With strongswan ipsec, I get nearly the same working configuration,
except of some ipv6 issues on nearly all clients. I wonder if I could
change anything on the gateway's configuration to solve these problems.

Here's the gateway's configuration:

config setup
        charondebug="cfg 2, dmn 2, ike 2, net 2"

conn %default
     keyexchange=ikev2
     dpdaction=clear
     dpddelay=300s
     rekey=no
     left=%any
     leftid=mydomain.de
     leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0,::/0
     leftcert=mydomain_de_crt.pem
     right=%any
     rightdns=192.168.0.200,2001:a:b:c:1:2:3:200
     rightsourceip=10.8.10.0/24,2001:a:b:e::/120
     #rightsubnet=0.0.0.0/0,::/0

conn IPSec-IKEv2
     keyexchange=ikev2
     auto=add

conn IPSec-IKEv2-EAP
     keyexchange=ikev2
     auto=add
     rightauth=eap-mschapv2
     rightsendcert=never
     eap_identity=%any

Now, the client problems...

1. Linux, ipsec command line client

No issues, works just perfect!

Configuration:

conn %default
     ikelifetime=60m
     keylife=20m
     rekeymargin=3m
     keyingtries=1

conn MYDOMAIN_IPSEC
     eap_identity=itsme
     leftauth=eap-mschapv2
     left=%defaultroute
     leftcert=itsme_crt.pem
     leftid=itsme
     #leftfirewall=yes
     leftsourceip=%config4,%config6
     right=mydomain.de
     rightid=mydomain.de
     rightsubnet=0.0.0.0/0,::/0
     #rightfirewall=yes
     keyexchange=ikev2
     auto=add

2. Linux, strongswan network-manager plugin

The Gnome NetworkManager pluging seems to not support ipv6 at all, is
that right? Are there plans to add ipv6 to this plugin?

3. Windows 7 Professional, native client

No ipv6 connectivity.

The Win7 client connects to the VPN gateway, and ipv4 connectivity is
established. But ipv6 fails, although the tun interface gets the correct
ipv6 address assigned. This results in a broken ipv6 configuration.
Applications need to fall back to ipv4 if they prefer ipv6 (as it is
recommended), but fail to connect via ipv6. Any suggestions, maybe other
client software?

4. Android strongswan client, on 4.4.4 kitkat

No ipv6 connectivity.

It seems that the client supports ipv6, the interface gets a correct
ipv6 address assigned. ipv4 works, but ipv6 fails. I need to manually
add an ipv6 default route with "ip -6 r a default dev tun0" on a root
terminal. After that, dual stack works fine. Is that a known issue that
will be fixed?

Maybe this is actually an Android bug rather that a strongswan bug, as
with OpenVPN I see exactly the same problem, but the OpenVPN client
offers hooks to run up/down scripts that I use to add/remove ipv6
(pseudo) default route "2000::/3 dev tun0".

However, ipv4 connectivity works like a charm with all tested clients!

Cheers,

Robert

--
Robert Senger <robert.senger at microscopium.de>