[strongSwan] Strong swan support for IPSEC on Cavium

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Wed Feb 22 18:10:35 CET 2012

Hi Mukesh,

> I have question about how to use IPSEC on Cavium blade where IKE will
> done on Cavium blade with Linux running core and encryption/decryption
> of packet will be done on Cavium accelarater's core's designed for
> IPSEC performance running with simple executive.

For crypto primitives used for the IKE protocol, we have a crypto API in
strongSwan than can use different backends, including OpenSSL.

Encryption and authentication of ESP packets is usually done in the
kernel. We have an abstraction layer to configure negotiated SAD/SPD
information and provide backends for the Linux specific XFRM interface
and a more generic PF_KEY interface.

To get more information how to pass that information down to your
hardware, you probably should ask Cavium. I don't think there is any
public information about such details.