[strongSwan] error: no default route - cannot cope with %defaultroute!!!

James Martin jmartin at untangleappliances.com
Thu May 27 20:53:39 CEST 2010

I am trying to integrate strongswan into another open source UTM called
untangle. http://www.untangle.com
Untangle runs on debian lenny, so I was able to aptitude install
strongswan and it installed along with ipsec-tools. The install did not
prompt me with the blue questions page, but rather skipped all of that
and made the certs on its own (apparently). I then get the error: no
default route - cannot cope with %defaultroute!!!

This makes sense, since ip route shows the following:
172.16.0.0/24 dev eth1  proto kernel  scope link  src 172.16.0.1
192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.175
172.16.1.0/24 dev eth2  proto kernel  scope link  src 172.16.1.1
192.0.2.0/24 dev dummy0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.0.2.42
192.0.2.0/24 dev utun  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.0.2.43

eth0 is the default gateway. dummy0 and utun used by untangle for
updates and the integrated openvpn ssl vpn server its already running.

I had read alot on the error, and my config file is as follows:
config setup
         # plutodebug=all
         # crlcheckinterval=600
         # strictcrlpolicy=yes
         # cachecrls=yes
         interfaces="ipsec0=eth0"
         nat_traversal=yes
         charonstart=yes
         plutostart=no

conn %default
         ikelifetime=60m
         keylife=20m
         rekeymargin=3m
         keyingtries=1
         authby=secret
         keyexchange=ikev2
         mobike=no

conn net-net
         left=192.168.1.175
         leftnexthop=192.168.1.1
         leftsubnet=172.16.0.0/24
         leftid=@moon.strongswan.org
         leftfirewall=yes
         right=8.19.101.8
         rightsubnet=10.2.0.0/16
         rightid=@sun.strongswan.org
         auto=add

running the command ipsec start generates:

Starting strongSwan 4.2.4 IPsec [starter]...
charon is already running (/var/run/charon.pid exists) -- skipping
charon start
no default route - cannot cope with %defaultroute!!!
\starter is already running (/var/run/starter.pid exists) -- no fork done

I dont understand why its saying cannot cope with %defaultroute!!! since
no where in the config does it specify %defaultroute

This is just a test bed, but if I can get strongswan to start correctly
then I will put it on a live IP and connect it with a cloud server that
is running strongswan to test.

I have installed it on 8.19.101.8 (cloud server, base debian) and it
worked just fine. I know im throwing alot of info out there, hopefully
someone can help. TIA