[strongSwan-dev] Debugging helpers for strongswan?

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Tue Jul 22 08:51:44 CEST 2014

Hi Alexander,

> Private members inspection is the most painful thing here. Casting
> pointers to private classes always take a some manual work. Is there
> any helpers or other ways to make it easy?

I don't think so. Casting to private classes is cumbersome but works in
gdb; I usually prefer to directly add some debugging code.

> And also is there any info on right way to start charon from gdb to be
> able debug initializing stage?

When using ipsec starter, you can use "ipsec start --attach-gdb". This
will run the daemon in foreground with gdb attached. Signal handling is
a little difficult with that invocation, though.